Sunday, September 6, 2009

Run Run as Fast as You Can

This week Sarah got to be watched by Melissa’s mom, a.k.a. Grandma Ewell, and Abby got to join them after her kindergarten. Our regular baby sitter had a death in the family; so naturally, she was unable to watch our girls. Abby was happy to stay Grandma Ewell. Sarah on the other hand, was just the opposite and this really took me and probably Grandma Ewell by surprise. From the very first day, Sarah would scream and cry for me and would say “I want to go with you” as I would leave. She even had a good grip on my shirt on one day. If you remember how she was while we went camping every time I tried to go somewhere with out her, well, that’s kind of how she was. Sarah eventually found her way back to bed and would spend hours partly sleeping and partly awake. She would be happy when I came home to drop Abby off after kindergarten, but we would go through the same process when I tried to leave on Monday and Tuesday. After that she settled down a little more for the Abby drop offs. It is possible that the ear infection that Sarah had contributed to her behavior. Sadly for Sarah, we have three more days of Grandma Ewell. Many thanks go to Grandma Ewell for her sacrifice in driving down every morning just to be greeted with a crying granddaughter.

Abby is really enjoying kindergarten and she has a great teacher in Mrs. Montgomery. This week they spend time learning about the gingerbread man and to their surprise the gingerbread man that they made in class and decorated disappeared from the oven. The class spent the days exploring and looking for the gingerbread man and only found crumbs until Friday. On Friday they found a note from the gingerbread man that said “run run as fast as you can, don’t eat me eat the cookies on the pan.” Abby and her class gladly ate the cookies left for them. I guess the quest will continue next week, or maybe the cookies where the end of the search only next week will tell.

Melissa is starting to make it home at a more reasonable hour, but she is still working hard to keep prepared to teach her first graders. Yesterday, she went to school after the girls were in bed at around 7ish to get some work done and she stayed until around midnight. She is very understanding about my B.Y.U. football passion and didn’t want to leave me to take care of the girls during the game. Or maybe she thought the girls would be neglected if she wasn’t there while the game was on. (Melissa says, “a little of both.”)

I got to observe some classes this week and even was put to work in one class reading two chapters of Win Dixie to a forth grade class. I am really uncomfortable reading out loud but was able to use some literacy strategies with them and that was fun. This next week I will start pulling kids and working with them in small groups. This should be interesting because I’m learning that I have to be very flexible as an E.S.L. technician.

No comments: